Thursday, May 7, 2009

Theological Thursdays: My Religious Perspective on Life

Photobucket


I am sad that I am having to re-write this entire entry, but I guess errors happen.

Anyhow, I am excited to start this weekly entry on my blog. I have a great passion for the Lord and for finding a lesson in even the little things in my life. It is a blessing for me to be able to share these lessons with you.....

Do you ever have those smack-in-the-head moments, where you literally smack yourself upside the head? Fortunately for my few brain cells that are left after four children, don't get those moments too often, but every once in a while, I do.

One thing most of your don't know is that i am an avid gardener. I have not always been this way, but joining my husband's wonderful family, has made this hobby blossom.

Even though I have learned so many tips and techniques over the years, I still lack knowledge is many areas.

One area I thought I was smart in was in knowing how to weed properly.
1) Wear gardening gloves (well, I have just started doing this step this Spring, because I pulled weeds without them and ruined my beautiful ring with my children's birth stones. Not too smart on my part!)
2) Find weeds (this is never difficult in any of my many gardens).
3) Find the lowest point of the weed, closest to the ground and grab it (that sounds easier than it can be)
4) Pull with all of your might. (Sometimes this goes smoothly, sometimes you land on your behind).
5) Hope that you pulled the root out, fully.

This theory seemed to work, over the years, but not this Spring.

Every single time I went out to my gardens, I'd find more and more weeds.

I felt frustrated and helpless and not a very talented gardener.

Well, this situation is similar to the people in our lives. We have our family, our friends, our co-workers and so on. We are attracted to the people that have the same beliefs, standards, ethics. We look for similar characteristics that our families had, or the beliefs they shared with us.

Sometimes those things can be pretty and sometimes, well, maybe not so much.

There are those people that we befriend, live with or are related to that are like those weeds. These are the people I refer to as "energy sucking weed people". They are the negative, gossiping, nitpickers. No matter how many times you plant those "flowers" of positive words and thoughts, you always feel emotionally exhausted after wards. Whether you talk to them on the phone or are physically with them, minutes make your body and mind feel like it was months and years.

Our Pastor, talked about these people, in a sermon, one day. He talked about how we have to remove those "energy sucking weed people" (my words, not his) from our lives.

This is easier said than done. Don't get me wrong , I totally agree. But, I wonder how do we apply this to family? Yes, f-a-m-i-l-y! We love them. We know that they tire us, but we LOVE them.

Well, I wish I had the right answer for this, but I guess all I have is this....we just LOVE them. We can prepare ourselves mentally and spiritually before we spend time on the phone or with them. We can avoid activities with them that we know will exhaust us. We can thank God everyday for giving us the insight into these weed-like behaviors and make sure that we do not cause this same exhaustion in others.

Our words, our behaviors and our beliefs will effect our actions with everyone. Words can be a blessing or a curse, our behaviors can stem from love or from hate and our actions can be from kindness or selfishness......we decide.

I'd love to know your thoughts on this new weekly theme and today's entry. It is great to hear other people's thoughts and ideas and even there disagreements.

I pray that this will be a regular thing. It is a blessing to me!!

"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."
Proverbs 12:18

"A man who lacks judgment derides his neighbor, but a man of understanding holds his tongue." Proverbs 11:12

I really liked this next verse, it hit me hard the first time I truly understood it.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down." Proverbs 26:20



Sarah






No comments: